- 1 tsp rendered fat
- 2 lbs liver
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup cognac
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup diced fresh / unrendered fat
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- Grease three-quart mold with rendered fat. Preheat oven and a pan of water (see 4) to 325 F.
- Purée the livers, eggs, cognac, cream, diced fat, chopped onion and flour. Add the spices and mix well.
- Pour into the mold and cover the top with a double thickness of aluminum foil.
- Place the mold in a pan of water and bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Cool the pâté, then store it in the refrigerator.
- Alternatively, instead of pans of water and aluminum foil, use bacon. Line the bottom of the three-quart mold with thick strips of bacon, pour contents into the mold, then cover the top completely with more strips of bacon.