Skip to content
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 5-6 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ cups oil
- Mix flour, sugar (minus 1 Tbsp), and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mixture.
- Mix yeast and 1 Tbsp sugar in the well.
- Add ⅓ cup warm water and use a fork to mix into a paste.
- Cover and let sit for 10 min.
- Mix oil and three eggs into the well.
- Knead dough until non-sticky but not too dry.
- Let rise 1-2 hours covered.
- Punch down dough and let rise again 1-2 hours.
- Punch down, separate into two sections.
- Separate each section into three pieces.
- Roll out the pieces into snakes and braid.
- Put loaves on a lightly greased pan, cover, and let rise 1 hour.
- Brush gently with egg yolk of remaining egg.
- Sprinkle on any desired toppings.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 300 F.